The 5 Best Litter Boxes for Large Cats12 min read
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
The average cat weighs around 10 pounds, but some cat breeds grow to weigh 20 pounds or more.
Breeds like the Maine Coon and the Norwegian Forest Cat are known for their massive size which makes your job as a cat owner just a little more difficult.
Not only do you have to take your large cat’s nutritional needs into account, but you also have to find the right products to suit a bigger cat.
One thing that every cat needs is a good litter box, but what do you look for in a litter box for large cats? In this article, we’ll teach you some key features to look for and provide some tips for finding the best litter box for large cats.
Quick Links: Best Litter Boxes for Large Cats to Buy
What to Look for in a Litter Box for Large Cats
If you’re wondering whether a large cat can get by with a regular litter box, you may be in for a messy surprise.
Not only do cats tend to kick their litter around, but if the sides of your litter box are too low, your cat may miss the box entirely when it does its business. Finding the right litter box for your large cat is important for both of your sakes.
Here Are Some Important Things to Look for in a Litter Box for Large Cats:
- Dimensions – Generally speaking, litter boxes should be 1.5 times as long as the cat (minus the length of the tail) and about as wide as the cat is long. For large cats, however, following this rule may lead to excessive size, so just look for a larger-than-average box that is at least as long as your cat’s body, so it has room to use the box comfortably.
- Materials – Though the dimensions of your litter box are the most important thing to consider, you also want to check the quality of the materials it’s made from. Large litter boxes hold more litter, so you need sturdy materials that won’t break down or bend under your cat’s weight.
- Open Top – It’s generally best to avoid hooded litter boxes for large cats. It will be more comfortable for your large cat if it can extend its head and tail over the edges of the litter box – a hooded box may be too cramped for even normal-sized cats.
- High Sides – Many cats (particularly female cats) like to urinate against the sides of the litter box. If your cat is very large, it increases the risk that urine will spray over the top of the box, so look for a larger litter box with high sides.
If you’re having trouble finding a litter box large enough for your cat, you have two options.
One option is to choose an alternative solution – a plastic storage tote may be larger and more affordable than any litter box you can find at the pet store.
Another option is to simply follow our advice and choose one of the 5 best litter boxes for large cats we’ve reviewed below.
All litter boxes are not created equal, so you’ll need to consider your cat’s unique preferences when choosing a litter box.
Keeping your cat’s size in mind, you also need to think about factors such as the dimensions of the box, the height of the sides, and the quality of the materials.
If you’re not sure where to start, simply try one of the five options we’ve reviewed here.
Here Are Our Top 5 Picks for the Best Litter Boxes for Large Cats:
Having a large cat means that scooping the litter box could be more work than usual.
With the Petmate Giant Litter Pan with Microban, however, scooping the box is easy because it is generously sized for your large cat and comes with storage solutions for all of your accessories.
This litter box holds up to 30 pounds of litter, making it large enough not only for large cats but for multi-cat households as well.
It is made from durable plastic materials coated with Microban to prevent the growth of stain- and odor-causing bacteria.
This litter box features a deep-walled design to keep the litter (and urine and feces) in the box where it belongs, with an extra side panel with two cups to keep your scoop, replacement liners, and any other accessories you want to keep on hand.
Plus, the open litter box design is great for cleaning the box and keeping your large cat comfortable.
For a simple litter box designed for easy cleaning, try the Nature’s Miracle Just for Cats Advanced High-Sided Cat Litter Box.
This litter box features a generous 23×18-inch size and it is a full 11 inches deep, making it perfect for large cats and for cats that tend to kick litter out of the box. It is made from sturdy plastic materials and designed with handles on either side for easy transport.
Plus, the open-top design makes it easy to scoop or empty the litter box for cleaning. This litter box features a non-stick surface to prevent litter from caking or sticking to the box, and it has an antimicrobial coating as well to protect against stain- and odor-causing bacteria. It may be a little pricy compared to some models, but it is a great option for large cats.
You don’t necessarily need to spend a lot on a high-sided litter box for your large cat.
This Frisco High-Sided Extra-Large 24-inch Cat Litter Box is a great option affordably priced at $15.99. This box is made from high-quality plastic which means that it is lightweight but sturdy enough to stand up to your cat’s weight.
It features high sides and a high back to contain litter and litter box mess, but it is open on the top so prevent odor buildup and to make cleaning a breeze.This litter box comes in navy or warm gray colors, both made from BPA-free plastic and completely recyclable.
Easily one of the most affordable options in litter boxes for large cats, the Van Ness High Sides Giant Cat Litter Pan is simple and easy to use.
This litter box measures a full 21×18 inches with 9-inch sides to keep the litter and litter box waste where it belongs.
The materials are 20% recycled content and the interior has a polished finish that is both odor- and stain-resistant. If you’re looking for a large litter box for big cats or multi-cat households, this option is low-priced and easy to clean.
Though some cats don’t like hooded litter boxes, they can be a good option if you’re struggling with odor control or tracking.
The Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan is our top pick for the best hooded litter box for large cats because it measures a full 22 inches long, 17 inches wide, and 18 inches tall.
It is made from sturdy materials with two pieces that snap easily into place. The entire unit has a large door flap that helps contain odors with a top-carry handle for easy transport.
This litter box gives your cat plenty of privacy to do its business and helps keep litter box odors in the box where they belong. The only downside is that the hood is not transparent, though some cats don’t mind.
Tips for Keeping Your Litter Box Fresh and Clean
It doesn’t matter what size your cat is, keeping the litter box clean is essential.
Cats are very clean animals so, not only do they spend a lot of time grooming themselves, but they like their litter boxes to be kept clean as well. An untidy litter box may lead to problems with the cat urinating outside the box.
Here are some simple tips for keeping your litter box fresh and clean:
- Choose the right location for your litter box. Make sure it’s in a well-ventilated area, accessible enough that you don’t forget to scoop it.
- Scoop the litter box often. It’s a good idea to scoop clumps once a day or every other day, replacing the litter once a week or so to keep it fresh.
- Keep a dustbin or bag near the litter box. You’re more likely to scoop the box if all of the supplies you need are easily accessible.
- Place the litter box on a litter mat. These mats are designed to catch litter sticking to your cat’s paws, so it isn’t tracked all over the house.
- Choose the right litter. If you have more than one cat, choose a multi-cat formula. You can also consider natural litters that can be flushed or litter made from recycled materials.
You may need to adjust some of the suggestions provided above depending how many cats you have. The general rule is to have one litter box per cat, plus an extra. Keep this in mind and make sure to scoop your litter boxes regularly to keep them fresh and clean for your large cat.
The best litter box for large cats will be big enough to comfortably accommodate the cat with high enough sides to contain litter and urine.
You don’t necessarily need to spend a fortune on a giant litter box, but you do need to exercise a little more caution than usual to make sure the box is big enough for your large cat to use.
If you’re still not sure where to start in looking for a litter box for large cats, try out one of the top 5 best cat litter boxes for large cats we’ve reviewed above. Best of luck!