This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Cats are curious creatures by nature. They tend to get into trouble when you’re not looking, and they always seem to find the strangest things to play with.
If you want to keep your cat out of trouble, you might want to buy it an interactive cat toy.
Interactive cat toys are designed to combat cat boredom while also increasing your cat’s activity level.
Keep reading to learn more about the benefits of interactive cat toys and to learn how to pick the best one for your cat.
You’ll also see our top 5 picks for the best interactive cat toys.
Quick Look at Out Top Picks:
- Best Overall: PetStages Tower of Tracks Interactive Cat Toy
- Best Affordable: Cat Dancer Rainbow Cat Charmer
- Best For Cats Home: Alone PetSafe Bolt Interactive Laser Cat Toy
- Best For Indoor Cats: Cat Amazing Interactive Treat Maze & Puzzle Feeder
- Best Electronic Cat Toy: Hexbug Mouse Robotic Cat Toy
|View Best Price|
|View Best Price|
|View Best Price|
|View Best Price|
|View Best Price|
What Are the Benefits of Interactive Cat Toys?
Cats often have a reputation for being lazy – after all, they spend much of their time sleeping. Just because your cat isn’t always running around the house, however, doesn’t mean that it is lazy. In fact, cats are very intelligent animals, and they need a certain degree of mental stimulation in their lives to keep their minds sharp and to prevent boredom.
Interactive cat toys are a great option for cats, especially if you have to leave your cat alone during the day.
Here are some of the benefits of interactive cat toys:
- Playing with an interactive toy stimulates your cat’s mind to relieve boredom.
- Interactive cat toys encourage your cat to be more active which is important for weight control.
- Having interactive toys to play with can decrease your cat’s stress and anxiety levels.
- Playing with an interactive toy with your cat helps strengthen your bond.
- Interactive cat toys can increase your cat’s confidence and arouse its curiosity.
- Playing with interactive cat toys stimulates your cat’s natural instincts to hunt and play.
As a cat owner, it is your duty to meet your cat’s needs, and that includes providing it with toys to keep it active.
While keeping the things above in mind, you can now start shopping around for the best interactive cat toys. Here’s what you need to know:
How to Choose the Best Interactive Cat Toy
Cat toys are a dime a dozen and you never which kind your cat might like. When it comes to interactive cat toys, preference is a major factor because some cats like certain types of toys more than others. You might need to try out a few different options to see what your cat likes and provide several toys, so there is always a choice.
Here are some things to look for in an interactive cat toy:
- Design – An interactive cat toy needs to have features that attract and hold your cat’s attention. This might include things like feathers, strings, noisemakers, etc. If you already know what kind of regular cat toys your cat likes, you have somewhere to start when looking for interactive toys.
- Durability – If you’re going to invest in an interactive cat toy, you want to know that it will last. Look for a toy made from durable materials that can handle chewing, swatting, and batting.
- Automatic – Some interactive cat toys are designed for solo play while others are made for you to play with your cat. For automatic cat toys, you’ll need to consider additional factors such as batteries or recharging.
- Treats – Though cats aren’t as highly food-motivated as dogs, they still love treats to an interactive cat toy that dispenses treats can get your cat’s attention and encourage it to play.
Keep reading to see our top 5 recommendations for the best interactive cat toys.
The Top 5 Best Interactive Cat Toys
Every cat has its own preferences for toys, so you may need to try out a few different options before you find one your cat likes. Take the time to play with your cat, not only for the sake of finding out which toys it likes, but to build a stronger bond and to keep it active. The right interactive cat toy will provide all of these benefits and more. Here are our top 5 picks for the best interactive cat toys to consider:
If you’re looking for an interactive cat toy that has it all, consider the PetStages Tower of Tracks Interactive Cat Toy.
This toy features three captive-ball tracks stacked on top of each other, and it comes in a bright orange color. Each track has its own ball complete with noisemakers to capture and keep your cat’s attention.
The vertical design makes this toy a great option for multi-cat play, and it can be used with or without human interaction. Plus, it is affordably priced under $10.
You don’t have to spend a lot for an interactive cat toy. In fact, some of the best cat toys are the cheapest – this Cat Dancer Rainbow Cat Charmer is a perfect example.
This interactive cat toy consists of a rainbow-striped piece of felt attached to a stick. You simply hold the stick and flick and twirl the ribbon around for your cat to chase.
The materials are surprisingly durable for a cat toy priced under $5, and it is a toy that cats of all ages will love.
Sometimes you simply don’t have the time to play with your cat, but that doesn’t mean that it needs to be bored. The PetSafe Bolt Interactive Laser Cat Toy is the perfect toy to keep your cat active and engaged when you’re busy elsewhere. This toy features a red laser that moves in random patterns to keep your cat guessing. It runs for 15 minutes and automatically shuts off to keep your cat from becoming overstimulated and to ensure that it’s just as excited to play next time.
If your cat is motivated by food, this Cat Amazing Interactive Treat Maze & Puzzle Feeder might be the perfect interactive cat toy.
It features a simple cardboard construction and consists of multiple holes and slots that your cat can poke its paw into to try and retrieve the treats inside.
This toy will keep your cat busy for house on end, and you can easily refill it with its favorite treats.
For the tech-savvy cat owner, the Hexbug Mouse Robotic Cat Toy is a great option.
This robotic toy exhibits realistic random movement to keep your cat engaged and to stimulate its natural hunting instincts.
This mouse can navigate around objects and back itself out of a corner, so it never gets stuck. Plus, it stops and starts just like a real mouse. This interactive toy lies dormant until your cat is ready to play, waking up with the swat of a paw.
How Do You Form a Strong Bond with Your Cat?
Cats can be a little aloof at times, but if you take the time to do it right, you can create a strong bond of friendship and trust with your cat. When you first bring your cat home, make sure to give it some time and space to adjust to the new surroundings, so it feels safe. Once your cat becomes a little more confident, start bringing out the toys and try to get your cat to play with you. As your cat becomes more comfortable with you, try petting it and see if it will let you brush it. Over time, these things will help you build and strengthen your bond with your cat.
How Important is Exercise for Cats?
One of the main benefits of interactive toys for cats is that it encourages healthy activity. What many cat owners don’t realize is that exercise is very important for cats. Not only does it help them maintain a healthy body weight, but it encourages them to develop their natural instincts for hunting and playing. Exercise is also an opportunity to engage your cat’s mind to prevent boredom
Cats are fickle creatures, at times, so you may not be able to predict what type of toy your cat might like. If you’re looking for an interactive toy to give your cat some exercise or mental stimulation, try one of our top five picks reviewed above. Best of luck!