This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
The word “flea” is enough to strike fear in the heart of any pet owner. Why? Because where there is one flea, there are almost certainly dozens or even hundreds more.
Flea infestations may not threaten your cat’s immediate health, but they can make for a pretty itchy situation that can become harder to control the longer you put it off. Take action now by killing fleas with a cat flea shampoo.
Whether you’re dealing with an active flea infestation or just looking for information, you’ve come to the right place! Here you’ll learn how to find the best flea shampoo for cats, and you’ll receive helpful tips for using it to eradicate fleas.
Quick Links: The 5 Flea Shampoo for Cats
- Best Overall: Adams Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo with Precor
- Runner Up: Zodiac Flea & Tick Shampoo for Dogs and Cats
- Best Affordable: Sentry Purrscriptions Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo for Cats
- Best Flea and Tick Shampoo: Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Flea & Tick Shampoo
- Best for Kittens: Advantage Flea & Tick Treatment Shampoo for Cats & Kittens
What To Look For In Flea Shampoo For Cats
When shopping for cat flea shampoo, you need to do more than just look at the pictures on the bottle. You should read the information on the bottle to determine whether the product actually kills fleas or simply repels them. Check as well whether the product is effective on flea eggs and larvae, or if it only kills adult fleas. You should also see whether the product offers any long-lasting benefit.
Here are some important things to look for in a cat flea shampoo:
- Active Ingredients – Most cat flea shampoos contain active ingredients to kill fleas and prevent eggs from developing. Pyrethrins are a popular choice because they are a natural plant extract that mimics the effects of chemical pesticides. You still need to be careful when using them.
- Natural Ingredients – If you have a kitten with flea problems or you want to avoid chemical solutions, a cat flea shampoo made with natural ingredients may be the better choice. Natural ingredients like rosemary, cedar, lavender, eucalyptus and citrus may help.
- Moisturizers – Heavy flea infestations can cause your cat to scratch a lot which may damage its skin and coat. Look for a flea shampoo that does more than just kill fleas – look for one that will moisturize and condition your cat’s skin and coat to speed healing.
- Price – As a savvy cat owner, you’re always concerned about price but when it comes to your cat’s health, you shouldn’t skimp. Look for a cat flea shampoo made with the right active ingredients at a price point you can afford.
Now that you know what to look for in a cat flea shampoo, you’re ready to start shopping! Keep reading to see our top picks for the best cat flea shampoo.
The best flea shampoo for cats will be made from safe, non-toxic ingredients in a formula strong enough to kill fleas but gentle on your cat’s skin. Look for natural ingredients as well as active ingredients designed to kill fleas and avoid any product made with harsh chemicals or unnecessary additives like artificial colors or fragrances. You should also make sure the shampoo you choose is appropriate for your cat’s age – some are not safe for kittens under 8 weeks old.
Here Are Our Top 5 Picks For The Best Flea Shampoos For Cats:
If you’re looking for a powerful flea shampoo for cats that kills fleas in every life stage, this Adams Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo with Precor is the way to go. This flea shampoo contains active ingredients that not only kill adult fleas, but actually kill flea eggs for a full 28 days to break the cycle of infestation.
This shampoo contains pyrethrins as the primary active ingredient as well as soothing natural ingredients like aloe, coconut extract, lanolin, and oatmeal to soothe and moisturize your cat’s skin. It also works well to clean dirt and debris from your cat’s coat while deodorizing it to leave it smelling fresh. If you want long-lasting protection from fleas and a clean-smelling coat, this is the shampoo to trust.
Flea infestations can cause your cat to itch like crazy. The more it itches, the more it scratches, and that can lead to dry, irritated, and damaged skin. This Zodiac Flea & Tick Shampoo for Dogs and Cats is a great option because not only does it contain powerful active ingredients to kill fleas, but it also contains coconut conditioners to hydrate and heal the skin.
This shampoo features pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide, two of the most powerful insecticidal ingredients to quickly and effectively destroy fleas – all you need is 1.5 tablespoons per 5 pounds of body weight. This shampoo forms a rich lather to cleanse your cat’s coat and the coconut conditioners restore body and shine.
Many flea shampoos kill adult fleas but do nothing to control flea eggs or larvae. This Sentry Purrscriptions Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo for Cats is the whole package because it kills fleas, ticks, and flea eggs. It features powerful active ingredients like pyrethrins to kill fleas on contact but maintains a fresh, floral scent.
This shampoo provides a full four weeks of protection against new fleas and their eggs, preventing reinfestation for a whole 30 days. It cleans, deodorizes, and conditions your cat’s coat as well, leaving it smelling and feeling fresh. Plus, it is affordably priced and easy to use.
Flea infestations necessitate powerful active ingredients and that’s exactly what this Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Flea & Tick Shampoo delivers. Made with pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide, this shampoo kills fleas and ticks on contact for fast relief.
It also contains aloe and lanolin to soothe itchy, irritated skin, restoring its natural hydration and improving coat condition. It gently cleanses and exfoliates the skin as well to promote healing. This flea shampoo has a fresh scent that lasts for days after application and the product is easy to use.
Brought to you by one of the biggest names in flea and tick control, this Advantage Flea & Tick Treatment Shampoo for Cats & Kittens is a great option. This flea shampoo is scientifically formulated to kill fleas and ticks on contact.
In doing so, it effectively helps prevent Lyme disease, flea dermatitis, and more. It is an unscented formula to be gentle on your cat’s skin and forms a rich lather for optimal cleansing of your cat’s skin and coat. This shampoo is safe for kittens over 12 weeks of age and can be repeated very 7 days for long-lasting performance.
Tips for Killing Fleas and Preventing Reinfestation
The first step in killing fleas is to choose a cat flea shampoo. Using the information you’ve received above; this step should be simple. From there, your next step is to actually use the shampoo and to start killing off all of those fleas.
Here is a simple step-by-step process to get rid of fleas:
- Go over your cat’s entire body with a flea comb to get rid of as many fleas as possible – dump them in a jar of diluted bleach to kill them.
- Read the instructions on the flea shampoo carefully. Some shampoos need to be diluted with water and some need to sit on your cat’s skin for several minutes for the best results.
- Fill a tub or sink with a few inches of warm water then place your cat in the bath (you may want to wear gloves to protect yourself against sharp cat claws).
- Carefully wet down your cat’s coat then lather a little of the shampoo into its fur – be sure to avoid sensitive areas like the eyes, nose, and ears.
- Let the shampoo sit on your cat’s skin for at least 5 minutes (or as directed) – keep your cat calm by petting it gently or use treats to keep it occupied.
- Thoroughly rinse the shampoo out of your cat’s coat – it may take two rinses or more to get out all of the soap residue.
- Use a soft towel to dry your cat’s fur as much as possible – if it will let you, you can use the blow dryer on the cool setting.
- Treat your cat with a topical flea and tick preventive or use a flea collar. This is the best way to prevent fleas from coming back.
Now that you have the information you need; you are ready to get to work! Take what you’ve learned here and find the best flea shampoo for your cat then follow our tips to use it. Before you know it, your cat and your home will both be happily flea-free.
When you first see a flea on your cat, your reaction is probably to go into full panic mode. If you slow down for a second and handle the situation calmly, however, you’ll find that the solution is surprisingly simple. A good cat flea shampoo is all you need to start killing the fleas on your cat, and a thorough cleaning of your house and your cat’s bedding should be sufficient to get rid of the rest.
Cat flea shampoos are not all created equal, so make sure you buy one that works! If you’re still not sure where to start in looking for a cat flea shampoo, try out one of the top 5 best flea shampoos we’ve reviewed above. Good luck!