5 Best Cat Vitamins and Supplements8 min read
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
As a cat owner, all you really want is for your cat to live a healthy life. Feeding your cat a nutritious diet is the best way to ensure its longevity, but some cat foods leave something to be desired.
Whether your cat has a nutritional deficiency, or you simply want to make sure its needs are being met, you may want to consider adding a vitamin or supplement to its diet.
In this article, we’ll talk about tips for feeding your cat well and provide some insight into choosing the best vitamins and supplements. We’ll also show you our top 5 picks for the best supplements for cats.
Quick Links: Best Cat Vitamins and Supplements to Buy
What To Look For In A Cat Vitamins And Supplements?
Nutrition is an essential element of pet care but sometimes your cat needs a little help. If your cat is dealing with a certain health issue or simply needs a boost of nutrition, adding a vitamin or supplement to its diet could be the right choice. Just be sure you have your vet’s approval before doing anything.
Here Are Some Important Things To Look For In Vitamins And Supplements For Cats:
- Reputable manufacturer. Never give your cat anything you don’t fully trust – do your research on the supplement company or ask your veterinarian for recommendations.
- All-natural. Always make sure whatever you’re giving your cat is safe and natural – avoid supplements made with chemical ingredients or by-products.
- Safe and non-toxic. Avoid supplements that contain any ingredients unsafe or toxic for cats – this includes garlic and onion. You should also avoid high levels of vitamin D and calcium.
- Dosage. Check the dosage on the bottle to make sure it is an appropriate amount for your cat – too much of a vitamin or supplement can be dangerous.
Now that you have a better idea what to look for in a supplement for cats, it’s time to start shopping! Keep reading to see our top 5 picks for the best vitamins and supplements for cats.
Here Are Our Top 5 Picks For The Best Cat Vitamins And Supplements:
A soft, shiny coat is the picture of health for a cat and essential fatty acids are required. Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids support your cat’s skin and coat health by nourishing the skin, so it produces natural oils to keep the fur hydrated and soft. This salmon oil supplement is one of the best fish oil supplement for cats on the market today. It can be drizzled on your cat’s food to deliver a boost of natural flavor with the benefits of healthy fats.
If you have a cat, you’ll have to get used to dealing with hairballs. With a healthy digestive system, your cat should be able to process most of the hair it accidentally ingests during grooming but these Greenies SmartBites give it an extra boost. These treats feature a delicious chicken flavor and contain a unique blend of fibers to hairball formation and promote healthy digestion.
A healthy diet won’t do your cat any good unless it is able to digest it properly – that’s where these probiotic supplements come in handy. Formulated with 500 million live microorganisms, these supplements promote intestinal health and balance as well as a healthy immune system. Simply sprinkle on your cat’s food to deliver antioxidants, beta-carotene, and probiotics.
Cats are carnivores, so protein is the most important nutrient in their diet. Proteins are made up of amino acids, some of which your cat is unable to synthesize on its own and must come from the diet. Lysine is an essential amino acid that your cat needs and this supplement is designed to deliver optimal levels for healthy skin and coat as well as strong immunity.
Your cat needs to stay active to remain healthy as it gets older, but many senior cats develop bone and joint problems. This Cosequin supplement is designed to support joint health by building cartilage and protecting existing cartilage from breaking down. Simply open the capsule and sprinkle it on your cat’s food to deliver a healthy dose of joint-supporting nutrients.
Tips For Feeding Your Cat
Shopping for cat food may seem as simple as going to the pet store and grabbing something off the shelf, but it’s not. All cat foods are not created equal and you need to know what you’re looking for if you’re going to make a smart decision for your cat. If you’re not sure where to look for healthy cat food, check out some of our other reviews!
Here Are Some Simple Tips For Feeding Your Cat A Balanced Diet:
- Look for the AAFCO seal of approval. If the product carries an AAFCO statement of nutritional adequacy, you can rest assured that it meets your cat’s minimum nutritional requirements.
- Check for quality animal proteins. Cats are carnivores, so the majority of your cat’s diet (at least the first ingredient) should be a quality source of animal protein.
- Find a blend of omega fatty acids. Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids are essential for skin and coat health – they also provide energy.
- Avoid by-products and fillers. Make sure your cat’s food doesn’t contain by-products or fillers – these offer no nutritional value and come with a risk of triggering a negative reaction.
Remember, always talk to your veterinarian before adding anything to your cat’s diet – especially a vitamin or supplement – just to make sure it won’t do more harm than good.
If you want your cat to live a long and healthy life, the best thing you can do is provide it with a balanced diet. Balanced nutrition is essential to keep your cat’s body functioning properly, but some cat foods don’t provide everything your cat needs. If your cat needs a boost of nutrition, consider adding a vitamin or supplement to its diet.
If you’re still not sure where to start in looking for cat vitamins and supplements, try out one of the top 5 best options we’ve reviewed above. Good luck!