The 6 Best Healthy Cat Treats12 min read
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Whether you’re shopping for cat treats as a supplement to your pet’s diet or you want to train your cat on a cat harness, it is important to know how to use cat treats the right way.
Quick Links: Best Rated Cat Treats to Buy
In this article, we’ll help you get to know the different kinds of cat treats on the market today so you can decide which one is right for your cat.
Some things to consider would be your cat’s preferences, product ingredients, calorie content, and their cost.
Whatever you choose, it would be wise to know the tips and tricks in giving cat treats to your lovely felines.
Knowing the different types of cat treats is a good start when it comes to choosing and buying cat treats specifically for your pet cats.
There are a lot of things to take into consideration when choosing the best one for your kitty.
One of the most important is that they are healthy and palatable to them.
Your cat will thank you in the long run as you give them with the best cat treats that they can ever have.
If your cat enjoys the taste and smell of fresh chicken, he might enjoy these straightforward dehydrated treats. These strips of jerky are made of human-grade, USDA-certified chicken without any preservatives or additives.
The treats come in rustic, easy-to-tear strips and fragments. Some are fragile. Some are tough. Because some of the pieces have a little more density, they encourage your cat to gnaw and rip at each treat, possibly encouraging better dental health and stronger jaws.
A 2-ounce bag of these jerky treats costs $12.
This freeze-dried cat treat is a favorite among both cat owners and cats everywhere. It has the aroma, texture, and freshness that comes from undergoing a delicate freeze-drying process preserving the essence of raw whole food.
Additionally, it will complement any food diet that your cat is in and it has no preservatives and fillers. It comes in different flavors that your cats are sure to love—ocean white fish, beef liver, chicken breast, wild-caught shrimp, turkey breast, and wild salmon.
This highly appetizing bonito flake is great for both cats and dogs. It is also one of the best treats in the market because it is very palatable. At the same time doesn’t have preservatives and additives that could cause harm to your pets. Not only that, but it is also a great complement to your cat’s meal especially if you have a picky one.
Contrary to popular belief, fish is not a natural part of a cat’s diet so this should be used in moderation. Also, this should be avoided by cats with urinary tract problems as it can worsen their condition.
This is a dental cat treat that tops our list for many reasons. It is formulated with a dual enzyme system wherein the abrasive action of its unique structure and texture removes plaque and prevents future buildup. Also, it is freeze-dried so the nutrients that come from raw whole food is preserved. It also comes in two different flavors—fish and poultry that you and your cat can choose from.
Furthermore, although this is on the expensive spectrum among cat treats, it is still a favorite among cat owners and cats alike. This just shows how effective the product is that cat parents don’t mind shelling a few extra bucks out.
Considered as the number one dental treat recommended by veterinarians, this product has a lot of features to boast from. Not only does it clean and freshen their breath, it also fights off plaque and tartar. Aside from dental benefits, they also give the needed vitamins and minerals for your cat’s health. They come in five appetizing flavors—oven roasted chicken, ocean fish, savory salmon, tempting tuna, and succulent beef.
In the end, there is no denying that this is one of the best dental cat treats for felines. However, like all other things, give these treats in moderation to avoid constipation.
If you have an overweight cat that you want to lose weight, then this is the kind of treat you should give to it. Packed with protein and taurine and low in fat, this will be a great addition to your cat’s diet without adding up to its calories. Moreover, you don’t have to sacrifice your cat’s treats just because of overweightness. You just need this product to help with its diet.
What to Look for When Buying Cat Treats
If you’re deciding to buy cat treats, then it is important that you know some tips and techniques on giving them to your cats.
You may choose to give them on your own terms but if you want to get the most out of it, it never hurts to know something a little about cat treats.
They can even be beneficial to your pets in the long run. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Feed Moderately – There’s a saying that goes too much of anything isn’t good for anyone. And this rings true with cat treats. Be sure to feed them with just the right amount of cat treats. It should comprise around 10% of your cat’s diet and shouldn’t replace its main meal.
- Choose Wisely – When choosing the best cat treat for your pet, you should take into consideration your cat’s health needs, age, and weight. Not only that, it is also important to choose something that you know your cat will love. Else, it will be put to waste and you’ll have to buy new ones.
- “People Food” As Cat Treats – You may ask if you can feed “people food” as treats to your cats. And the answer is yes. Aside from the usual cat treats, you can feed it with “people food” that can give it with the nutrients it needs. You just need to know how to choose them.
- Break Into Small Pieces – If you want to make the most out of the cat treats you’re buying, you can break it into small pieces. That way, it will last a long time and you will have plenty to spare in case you’re not able to go to the grocery store on short notice.
- Always Read the Label and Ingredients – Buying cat treats is no different from buying their main food. Always read the labels and ingredients before buying and educate yourself to differentiate which are good for your kitties and which are not. If your cat is allergic to certain ingredients, avoid them at all cost.
The Different Types of Cat Treats
Now that you know some tips up in your sleeve about cat treats, it’s time to be well-informed about their different types that you can choose from. Like humans, cats also have preferences when it comes to their food. Since there are so many types to choose from, you can play it safe by buying and choosing those which are closest to its history of dry cat food. Otherwise, you can mix and match to find which is the most palatable for your kitty.
- Dental – If you are looking for a two-in-one kind of treat for your cat, this one is for you. Aside from being a treat in itself, it helps with your cat’s dental hygiene as it reduces plaque and tartar and prevents your pet from getting gingivitis. It also freshens breath and keeps its teeth clean and healthy.
- Grain-Free – If you have a cat that is sensitive to grain by-products, you should look for grain-free cat treats. This goes hand in hand with the tip of checking the label and ingredients when buying a treat for your pet. Click here to read our article on the Best Grain Free Cat Food
- Homemade – If you have the time to make your own cat treat and you’re tired of all the processed foods and treats in the market, then you ought to make your own that is specifically made for your cat’s needs and wants. There are plenty of cat treat recipes that can be found online for free but it is best if you buy yourself a cookbook that is especially about these.
- Gastrointestinal Support – If have cats and kittens in your home that are having gastrointestinal problems, then you should buy a cat treat that is specifically formulated for gastrointestinal or GI support. Check for the ingredients and make sure that it has probiotics that supports GI.
- Freeze-Dried – Looking for a cat treat that’s closer to raw meat without the hassle and the mess? Then you should choose freeze-dried cat treats. It is packed with essential nutrients that can be found in raw meat without the hassle. There’s also a specific kind of freeze-dried cat treats called bonito tuna flakes which cats love and are very healthy for them.
In conclusion, choosing the best cat treat can be a daunting experience for a cat owner.
There are so many options to choose from the market that it’s the same as deciding what cat food to buy. Just don’t forget to buy one that is palatable and appetizing to its tummy.