This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Have you ever spent an hour or more searching the house from top to bottom looking for your cat only to find it hiding in the first place you looked?
This is a common experience among cat owners and a very frustrating one. As a cat owner, you care deeply about your cat’s safety, and sometimes you just want to know where your cat is so you can make sure it is okay.
A cat tracker enables you to find your cat more quickly than searching on your own.
By attaching a tag to your cat’s collar, you can pinpoint its location based on GPS, Wifi, or cellular technology. Keep reading to learn more about cat trackers and to see our top 5 picks for the best cat trackers.
Quick Links: The 5 Best Cat Trackers
- Best Overall: Whistle 3 GPS Pet Tracker & Activity Monitor
- Runner Up: Tabcat Loc8tor Handheld Cat Tracker
- Best GPS Cat Tracker: Findster GPS and Activity Monitor
- Best for Budget: Pawscout Smarter Pet Tag Cat Tracker
- Best Bluetooth Cat Tracker: Tractive 3G Cat GPS Tracker
|View Best Price|
|View Best Price|
|View Best Price|
|View Best Price|
|View Best Price|
What to Look for in a Cat Tracker
A cat tracker is exactly what it sounds like – a device that enables you to track your cat’s activity and pinpoint its location. This is a valuable tool to have on hand if you have an outdoor cat that you want to keep track of or if your indoor cat has a habit of sneaking out. Cat trackers offer a wide variety of useful features, and each one is different.
Here are some important things to look for in a cat tracker:
- Tracking Technology – Most cat trackers use a combination of GPS and cellular technology to offer live tracking, but non-GPS trackers often rely on Wifi or proximity to a mobile app.
- Battery Life – A cat tracker doesn’t do you any good if the battery is dead, so look for one that offers long battery life and keep in mind that GPS will drain the battery faster.
- Activity Monitoring – In addition to tracking your cat’s location, some devices can also monitor your cat’s sleep and activity habits to help you keep your cat healthy.
- Mobile App – If you’re searching for your cat outside of the house, it is important to be able to track its location using a mobile device.
- Additional Features – Many cat trackers offer additional features such as live alerts, location history, virtual fencing, and activity monitoring.
As you can see, cat trackers are a wonderful resource for cat owners. Keep reading to learn about our top 5 picks for the best cat trackers on the market.
The Top 5 Best Cat Trackers
All cat trackers are not created equal, and you need to know what features you find most important before you start shopping. Keep in mind that some trackers are designed for a single cat while others offer multi-cat tracking capability. You should also remember that many GPS trackers require a monthly subscription plan, so do your research before you buy!
Here are our top 5 picks for the best cat trackers:
If you’re looking for an all-in-one cat tracker and activity monitor, try the Whistle 3. The Whistle 3 GPS Pet Tracker & Activity Monitor utilizes advanced GPS and cellular technology to pinpoint your cat’s location anywhere in the nation. You can receive proactive alerts by text, app, or email and track your cat’s location over the last 24 hours.
This cat tracker has the longest-lasting battery life of its kind, going for up to 7 days on a single charge, though battery life is impacted by Wifi strength.
The Tabcat Loc8tor Handheld Cat Tracker features directional technology, allowing you to pinpoint your cat’s location within 1 inch. This tracker utilizes RF-based frequency technology, which makes it more accurate than a GPS tracker when used indoors.
It is small and lightweight, so your cat won’t even know it’s wearing it, and it can be attached to any collar. This tracker comes with 2 tags, but you can sync up to 4 tags with a single tracker, allowing you to track multiple cats with a single device.
Though not completely waterproof, the tags are splash-proof, and they beep to train your cat to come on demand.
If you’re looking for a durable solution in cat trackers and activity monitors, consider the Findster GPS and Activity Monitor. This GPS cat collar has a 3-mile range and offers live-tracking capability. It doesn’t depend on cellular coverage, so it works everywhere. Perhaps the most unique feature this tracker has to offer is its ability to track up to 3 pets without a monthly subscription.
You may pay a little more for this tracker upfront, but the long-term cost is much lower than for many GPS trackers.
The Pawscout Smarter Pet Tag Cat Tracker may not have the GPS capability or wide range of other pet trackers, but it is also much more affordable and doesn’t require a monthly subscription fee. If you’re just looking for a tracker to find your cat inside the house or to use as a backup if he sneaks outside, this might be a good option.
It attaches to any collar and locates your cat within 200 feet of any mobile device with the Pawscout app – this enables you to receive alerts if your cat strays away from home.
If you want to know exactly where your cat is in real time, the Tractive 3G Cat GPS Tracker is the way to go. This 3G and GPS tracker offers live tracking, so you can pinpoint your cat’s location and share it with family and friends via mobile device. In addition to being a GPS tracker, this device also enables you to create a safe zone which acts as a virtual fence to keep your cat safe.
It offers worldwide tracking capability in 150 countries and a long-lasting rechargeable battery that lasts 5 days on a 2-hour charge.
Tips for Making the Most of Your Cat Tracker
A cat tracker can help you stay up to date with your cat’s location. This is important if your cat tends to hide around the house or if it often sneaks out of the house to explore on its own.
Each cat tracker is different, but many of them offer useful features.
Here are some tips for making the most of your cat tracker:
- Monitor your cat’s activity (if the tracker offers this feature) to make sure its eating, sleeping, and activity patterns are healthy.
- Create a “safe zone” for your cat and receive alerts if your cat strays away from this area – this will alert you if your cat gets out of the house.
- View your cat’s tracking history to find out where it goes when it’s wandering around outside – this may help you find your cat faster if he goes missing.
- Share your cat’s location with friends and family – this is helpful if you’re trying to bring your cat home and it is closer to someone else than to your location.
Keep in mind that every cat tracker is different. You’ll need to think about what features are most important to you and then find a tracker that offers those features.
When it comes to shopping for a cat tracker, you have to think about what you value most. Some trackers are designed to pinpoint your cat’s location inside the house while others are better for outdoor use. Some trackers offer additional features like activity monitoring while others do not. Decide what you really want in a cat tracker then find the model that best suits your needs.
If you’re still not sure where to start in looking for a cat tracker, try out one of the top 5 best cat trackers we’ve reviewed above. Good luck!