Best Cat Litter Scoops10 min read
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Having a pet cat is a great thing; taking care of it, however, can be a daily struggle. As the owner or guardian of a cat, you are in charge of its feeding, bathing, and cleaning.
For the most part, cats are clean animals with a very developed sense of smell, hence it is important to keep their litter box clean.
For those who do not have the luxury of automatic litter boxes, cleaning up the litter box is a task that becomes easier with a good litter scoop.
Quick Links: Best Cat Litter Scoops to Buy
While looking for the best cat litter scoop, the focus should be on finding one that meets your basic needs. In this case, the simpler it is, the better.
Also, it should do its job of removing wastes well enough and last long enough to keep doing it without making you go to the store every week to buy a new one. As shown below, we have provided a bunch of suggestions to help you pick the right scoop.
This product is made of corrosion-resistant aluminum, making it ductile and tough enough to withstand the use of force while cleaning out the litter. Also its deep scoop ensures removal of most of the litter before sifting. That’s because its holes are sized to help you get most of the cat waste out of the litter box.
This high-quality product comes in an attractive design with a reflective aluminum base and colored handle grips. Despite its high quality, this product has some downsides too.
To begin with, the thickness and largeness of this product, along with its metal frame and durability make it one of the most expensive in the market. Also, the attractiveness will eventually wear off after continuous exposure to urine or water, leaving a corroded and rusty appearance.
This product patented in the United States of America is made from high tech polymer and steel. It is one of the best standing litter scoops and is a solution for people who have problems bending. Also its 35-inch ergonomic handle can hold up heavy loads.
It also has a wedge shape which makes scooping corners and box bottom easier and faster. For this reason and the ones shown above, it is one of the best scoops for multiple cat households.
Moreover, its sturdy design and wide holes are ideal for scooping large litter boxes in just a few seconds. One of the most unique features of this scoop is the angled design of its handle that comes with an integrated D-grip for easy and powerful maneuvering.
This product is made of lightweight plastic materials and will get the job done at a very affordable price. At the same time, its simple appearance does nothing to mask its durability, efficiency and uniqueness.
As one of the best plastic litter scoops, it offers ease-of-use and great sifting through narrow holes. Not to mention that its size, shape, and depth are great for lifting waste litter from larger litter boxes. Also, it is equally suitable for finer and smaller clumps.
This product is made of sturdy and durable aluminum with a deep shovel design, nonstick coating, and is capable of cleaning even the largest litter boxes in record time. Moreover, it is highly durable with a tapering edge and an ergonomic handle. This reduces the strain on the wrist while cleaning out corners of the litter box.
As shown above, it sifts litter quickly and efficiently, and that too without the need for shaking the scoop. Also, it can conveniently be hung on the wall. At the same time, it is too large for smaller or narrower litter boxes and the plastic grip on its handle may loosen after some time.
This product is made from chrome-plated heavy-gauge wire that efficiently meets your scooping needs. Not to mention its convenient handle that is long, vinyl-coated and sturdy.
As a result, it very suitable for regular scooping of litter, while also preventing your back from hurting. Above all, it has grid squares that are ideal for removing clumps from the litter.
Choosing The Best Litter Scoop
Most of the problems that customers complain about with regards to cleaning up litter are caused due to the use of the wrong scoop.
Some litter scoopers are easier and more convenient to use than others, with that in mind, you must get one that best suits your needs. However, there are some basic things to take note of while buying a litter scoop.
These include the shape, size of the holes, durability, handle length, and the type of litter used.
- The Shape of the Scoop- The scoop should be shaped such that it can explore and clean every corner of your litter box. However, if you prefer something fancy, you need to ensure that whatever shape you are going for will do the job and fit into every nook and corner of the litter box.
- The Hole Size of the Scoop- The size of the scooper holes will determine the size of litter you will be able to get out of the box. As a result, the size of the holes will either be efficient or inefficient depending on the kind of litter in the litter box. Some litters may break down into very fine particles or very small granules and be very hard to scoop out if your scooper has large holes.
- The Durability of the Scoop- The litter box should be cleaned out at least once a day, especially when dealing with clumping cat litter ,natural cat litter requires less cleaning you will not have to replace every other week. The materials used in making a good scoop should be of a very good quality so that it will not break or bend while scooping the litter. Your litter scoop should be tough enough to withstand scraping, bending, breaking cracking and all the efforts that go into cleaning up non tracking cat litter.
- The Length of the Scoop Handle- Litter scoops with short handles afford accuracy while scooping, as well as a sturdy handle that will not easily break or scatter your litter. However, you may have to bend more or squat, which may be very strenuous on the back muscles. Also, litter scoops with longer handles afford minimal exposure to waste products and dust. They do not require bending or cause back pains. However, you may not be as precise in getting out all the wastes from the litter box and they can also be quite expensive.
- The Litter Type- Some litter clumps up well and will not pose any problem while scooping out. Others, however, do not clump well and have textures that your scoop may not be able to take out of the box.
- Have a Spare Litter Scoop- The frequency of the litter box cleanups may cause the scoop to break or bend. When this happens, you may need a replacement but won’t have the time to go shopping for one immediately. So, it is important to have a spare scoop, especially for the times when you change your cat’s litter box and need a different shape, hole size or handle length to match your needs.
- The Price- The price of the scoop should match your basic requirements for the best. So after taking the shape, size of the holes, durability, toughness, appearance and handle lengths into consideration, you must also ensure that the price is not too outrageous.
Best Cat Litter Scoops Summed Up
All cat lovers will love to keep their cats happy and healthy. Therefore, the easiest way to do this is by getting your cat all the things needed to keep it happy.
However, this is to be done with the least bit of inconvenience possible. To begin with, the most basic requirement to keep a cat household clean and neat is a great scooper. That’s because it ensures cleaning up your cat’s waste without the process being too burdensome.
The best cat litter scoop must be able to sift litter efficiently, get the wastes out of every corner of the litter box, last long, and of course, not cause backaches. Hopefully, the above-recommended scoops will help you make a great choice.