When you think about Scotland, you might think about bagpipes, kilts, or the Loch Ness monster.
However, its cutest export is the Scottish Fold cat. This cat is so noticeable and unique because of its folded ears.
Those are what makes it so distinct from all the other cats. Despite having extraordinary ears, their diet is not so since like all obligate carnivores, they need meat in their diet.
- What to Look for in When Buying Cat Food
- Choosing the Right Kitten and Adult Cat Food
- 5 Best rated Cat Foods for Scottish Fold
- Purina Beyond Grain-Free Natural Adult Cat Food
- Blue Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Adult Dry Cat Food
- Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Cat Food
- Addiction Grain Free Dry Cat Food
- The Scottish Fold Diet
- Final Thoughts
What to Look for in When Buying Cat Food
Wet cat food typically comes in cans to keep it fresh until you open it and, once you do, it should be refrigerated and used within 2 to 3 days.
Though all cat food may look similar, each brand and every formula is different. The quality of the ingredients matters a great deal, and it should provide for your cat’s basic nutritional requirements.
- Quality Ingredients. The quality of the ingredients in your cat’s wet food determines how well your cat can digest it and how it impacts its overall health. The majority of the ingredients in your cat’s food should be animal based.
- Animal Proteins. Your cat requires a diet rich in protein to support its lean muscle mass, so look for premium animal proteins like meat, poultry, and fish.
- Healthy Fat. Essential fatty acids provide your cat with energy and support its skin and coat health. Look for a balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, ideally from animal sources.
- Beneficial Supplements. In addition to protein and fat, your cat can benefit from vitamins and minerals for nutritional balance as well as probiotics for healthy digestion.
Also Read: Top 5 Best Grain Free Cat Foods
Keeping all of these things in mind, you’re now ready to learn how to choose the best wet cat food. Here’s what you need to know:
Choosing the Right Kitten and Adult Cat Food
The best kitten food will be high in protein with plenty of healthy animal-based fats and beneficial supplements for nutritional balance. You can also go with venison, duck, lamb, or chicken as animal protein sources. For indoor adults cats, they can have all these plus fresh vegetables and dairy.
5 Best rated Cat Foods for Scottish Fold
Image Product Features View Best Price View Best Price View Best Price View Best Price View Best Price
We now know that Scottish Fold cats need food that is full or real meat. So, with this in mind, we have recommended the best kind for you. Below are our top suggested products for your Scottish Fold pet.
The Scottish Fold Diet
The Scottish Fold diet is more or less a typical kind of diet. You will need to make sure that it has enough water supply, you can put some wet and dry food for it to choose from and to eat, and you can keep its food fresh by stirring it (for the wet food) or adding new amounts every day.
Aside from those, here are some pointers that you can follow when it comes to the type of food you’ll be feeding your Scottish Fold with.
- Raw Meat – Like all cats, Scottish Folds need meat as part of their diet. Preferably, they like it raw and fresh. They will need plenty of raw cat food to satisfy their dietary needs.
- Low Carbohydrates – The diet of Scottish Fold cats should be low in carbohydrates and high in protein. Otherwise, it will become obese and at risk of diabetes if it is fed with too much of it. So, be wary when choosing a cat food and make sure it is low in it.
- Avoid By-Products and Grains – If you want the best cat food for your kitty, make sure that you read the cat food labels and if you see any animal by-products and filler grains as part of its ingredients, put it down and choose another one. It is better to buy an inexpensive cat food that doesn’t have these than a costly one that contains all these.
Having a Scottish Fold cat requires you to buy a cat food that is primarily meat and is grain-free.
Once you have assessed a cat food based on these two factors, you will then need to consider one that is formulated for your pet’s age.
Between wet and dry, ideally wet is a better choice due to many factors. However, with a Scottish Fold, you can have both food types as this will be good for their tummies. Lastly, it is still best to consult your trusted veterinarian when choosing the best cat food for your Scottish Fold.